Gozo is a small and charming island in the Mediterranean Sea, part of the Maltese archipelago. Despite its size, there are plenty of things to do and see on the island. Here are some recommendations:
- Visit the Ġgantija Temples: These temples are a UNESCO World Heritage site and are some of the oldest freestanding structures in the world, dating back to 3600-3200 BCE.
- Explore the Citadel: The Citadel is a fortified city built on a hilltop in the center of Victoria, the island’s capital. The views from the top are stunning, and there are several museums and historical sites to explore.
- Relax on the Beaches: Gozo has several beautiful beaches, including Ramla Bay, San Blas Bay, and Marsalforn Bay. These beaches offer crystal clear waters and sandy beaches, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Visit the Azure Window: Unfortunately, the natural arch collapsed in 2017, but the site still offers stunning views of the sea and the nearby cliffs. You can also visit the nearby Inland Sea and take a boat trip through the sea cave.
- Taste the Local Cuisine: Gozo is known for its delicious food, which includes fresh seafood, traditional Maltese dishes, and locally produced wine and cheese. Be sure to try some of the local specialties while you’re there.
- Walk or Cycle through the Countryside: Gozo’s countryside is dotted with small villages, farms, and vineyards, making it the perfect place for a scenic walk or bike ride. You can also explore the island’s natural beauty by visiting its many caves, valleys, and cliffs.
- Visit the Ta’ Pinu Shrine: This beautiful church is a pilgrimage site for Catholics and is located in the countryside, surrounded by fields and farms. The church is known for its stunning architecture and peaceful atmosphere.
- Dive into the Blue Hole: If you’re a scuba diving enthusiast, be sure to visit the Blue Hole, a natural swimming pool surrounded by caves and coral reefs. The waters are crystal clear and offer an incredible underwater landscape to explore.
These are just some of the things you can do in Gozo, but there’s plenty more to explore on this beautiful island.